CRISPY CHICKEN AND CORN NUGGETS
Get that fake-away feeling without the guilt. These nuggets are baked not fried and because they are home made it's an easy lunch to make that both kids and adults will enjoy.
If you are looking to keep it super healthy lean meats such as chicken breast is what you'll want to use but beware it dries out very easily. To swap your crumbs for a gluten free option, go for quinoa flakes.
This looks like there's a lot going on in here but it's really quite simple. There are spices in both the marinade and the coating to pack it with flavour but you can leave out or include any of these. It's completely up to your taste preference.
And if you want to make these into strips instead of nuggets go ahead!
1 400-600gm Packet of Chicken Thighs (free range and anti-biotic free)
1 Large Corn Cob
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 tsp Pink Salt Flakes
CRUMB COATING INGREDIENTS:
1 Cup of Corn Flake Crumbs
1 Cup of Panko Crumbs
1 Cup of Plain Flour
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Thyme (optional)
1/4 tsp Black Pepper (freshly ground)
1/2 tsp Pink Salt Flakes
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees.
2. Run your chicken through a food processor or finely dice, then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
3. Strip the corn cob from the husk and run your knife along the cob. Put the raw kernels into the mixing bowl.
4. Add the rest of your marinade ingredients and combine. Then using your hands form into balls and put on a plate. Allow to marinate and firm up in the fridge for 10mins.
5. Put out 3 wide bowls. In the first bowl mix together both crumbs. In the second bowl crack the eggs and whisk. In the third bowl combine the flour with the rest of the seasonings.
6. Dip them into the flour and slightly flatten them into the shape of nuggets.
7. Then dip it into the egg bowl and finally into the crumb bowl.
8. Lay them onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake in the oven for 20-30 mins turning over half way through to ensure they are evenly crunchy. Cooking time will depend on the size of your nuggets so if in doubt use a probe thermometer to check the inside of your nugget. If it has reached over 75 degrees, they're ready.
9. Serve with an aioli dipping sauce or home made tomato sauce.
Anne-Sophie Rayment, Nutritional Advisor.